/Specialists in the latest underwater technologies
You are here
/(Senior) Software Engineer - Linux
Coda Octopus designs, manufactures, sells and supports systems and software for the marine- survey, construction and security industries.
We are seeking a skilled (Senior) Software Engineer to our offices in Edinburgh with at least 2 years’ experience of developing low level software and libraries for Linux software solutions.
Ideally you will have a BSc Hon's in any of the following disciplines: Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Maths and Computing, or other Engineering discipline.
The successful candidate will help to develop critical products for our clients in a highly demanding and competitive market. This is a fantastic opportunity to engage in a positive and creative work environment that offers excellent benefits and rewards.
You will possess excellent interpersonal skills and must have the ability to communicate and work well within a team environment.
You will have excellent problem solving and creativity skills, honesty and integrity, an eagerness to learn and a high level of personal motivation, drive and energy. An understanding or previous experience of working within an agile software development team would be beneficial, although not essential. You will be a good communicator with ability to communicate articulately, both verbally and in writing, to colleagues and clients.
Experience and interest in as many as possible of the following areas is required:
- Commercial C/C++ and Linux experience
- Excellent C/C++ programming skills
- Strong Embedded firmware development or operating systems development, Linux, Windows.
- Strong design and development multi-threaded, multi-process, distributed and be involved in code reviews, revision control and unit testing.
- Strong ability to debug systems – system problems involving software, firmware and hardware
- Linux development (user space and/or kernel space)
- Linux Drivers
- Linux networking
- Linux kernel development experience
- IP networking protocols
- IoT Security architectures
- Design, develop, document and test new and existing software systems
- Participate in full development lifecycle including requirements analysis and design
- Produce technical specifications documentation
- Identify and evaluate new technologies for implementation
- Participate in software design meetings
- Contribute towards process improvement
- Work on highly complex projects with minimum supervision
- Strong low-level core engineering experience
- Experience in real time embedded software development
- Good understanding of low level interactions between software and hardware
- Strong attention to detail
- Track record of being able to deliver new features within agreed timescales
Additional experience and interest of any of the following would be an advantage:
- 3D graphics including DirectX
- Image/signal processing
- Marine equipment
Duties will include:
- Assist in defining product software requirements
- Define software technical specifications
- Develop software code that follows company coding standards
- Define software test procedures
- Perform debug and test cycles following the company’s quality procedures
- Interact with Test and Support teams as necessary
- Assist in defining hardware/software requirements for development, testing, validation, and production environments.
- Work with a development team and communicate effectively
- Assist in creation of documentation such as user manuals, knowledge base articles, training material
Salary will be competitive and dependent on experience and we offer a competitive benefits package.
For more information about Coda Octopus please visit our website: .
If you feel you have the necessary qualities and qualifications to join our team then please send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining why this role is right for you.
Closing date for this position is 05 November 2018 but please send your application as soon as possible.